Gifts through a Bequest
A bequest is a gift provision in your will or revocable living trust. These kinds of gifts enable assets to be distributed to individuals and nonprofit organizations in the amounts or proportions you choose. You don’t have to be wealthy to make a difference. All assets, including cash, securities, real estate, and tangible personal property, may be transferred to Newton-Wellesley Hospital through your estate.
- Ability to make a major gift while preserving your assets during your lifetime;
- Retain full ownership and use of your assets throughout your life;
- Flexible – a bequest is not permanent and can be changed if your life circumstances change;
- Potential reduction in taxes payable by your estate;
- Opportunity to designate your gift to a specific program or interest you care about;
- Ease of arrangement -- your attorney can incorporate gift language as a part of the drafting process.
Your bequest can be a specific amount, a specific asset, or a specific percentage of the remainder of your estate after all other obligations have been resolved.
Types of Bequests
- A specific dollar amount or percentage - “the sum of $20,000”;
- A particular asset - “100 shares of ABC Corp. stock”;
- The remainder once other assets have been distributed - “fifty percent of the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate”;
- In addition, your bequest can be used for different purposes:
- Restricted use, enabling you to support a particular area of interest;
- Unrestricted, allowing Newton-Wellesley Hospital to use your gift wherever the need is greatest.
Be sure to discuss your situation with your attorney. He or she can help you determine whether to make a bequest through a will, through an amendment (“codicil”) to your existing will, or perhaps as a distribution from a living trust. If you are considering a bequest, please provide our suggested bequest language (PDF) to your attorney.
If you have arranged a bequest, please let us know by contacting Liz Gianakos at (617) 243-6751 or NWHCF@partners.org. We would be honored to know of your gift. We would very much appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to the Eliza Kendall Society and to make sure your wishes are appropriately fulfilled.
Men's Health Fair & Car ShowJoin us on Sunday, September 21, from 9:00am-1:00pm for our combined FREE health screenings and classic car show.
Learn More >
Register Now for HopeWalks on Sept. 28Registration is open for the 5th Annual HopeWalks on Sunday, Sept. 28, to benefit the patients at the Vernon Cancer Center.
Learn More >