History and Milestones

History of Newton-Wellesley Hospital

1800s
1880
  • With the support of the Mayor of Newton, Royal M. Pulsifer, a group of “interested gentlemen” determine on November 10, 1880 to establish a cottage hospital in Newton.
1881
  • The Commonwealth of Massachusetts granted a certificate of incorporation, on January 11, 1881 and The Newton Cottage Hospital became a legal body.
1884
  • $6000 is raised by selling twelve $500 subscriptions to purchase nine acres at $400/acre and to build a hospital in the former Granville Fuller Estate on Washington Street.
1885
  • Construction begins on a two building hospital. One building would be an administrative and service building. The second building would be a clinical ward.
  • The Hospital Aid Association begins when 33 women assemble in the parlors of the Eliot Church in Newton. Their first act is to appoint a committee of seven, representing the seven wards of the city of Newton. The Aid begins the continuous task of fundraising to furnish the hospital and supplement its revenues.
1886
  • The nine bed Cottage Hospital opens on June 5th. It consists of two connected buildings – one a clinical ward, later named for a founding physician of the hospital, Dr. Thayer; and the second, an administrative and service building. The hospital’s daily operations were entrusted to three employees – a matron, who served as administrator and nurse, a cook who also served as housekeeper, and a handyman. The hospital cost $7209 to construct.
  • The first patient is admitted on June 12th. By the end of the year, 40 patients are treated.
  • In December, the Cottage Hospital receives its first bequest, $250 from the estate of Eliza Kendall.
1888
  • Three students, joined shortly by a fourth, arrived for two years of nursing instruction. The matron handled their education. The Training School for Nurses formally opens.
1889
  • The Leeson Ward for Women opens. The ward is named for and donated by Joseph R. Leeson, President of the Hospital Board of Trustee.
1890
  • The first baby is born in the hospital.
1891
  • Two, wooden, contagious wards (A & B) with connected administration building (Ward C) are built by the City of Newton, on land adjacent to the hospital. These wards would isolate patients with cholera, typhus, measles, diphtheria, pneumonia, syphilis, gonorrhea, whooping cough, and scarlet fever from other patients of the hospital, and from the well citizens of Newton.
  • The Coburn Ward for private patients opens, allowing individual physicians to admit their patients to the hospital to be cared for, specifically, by them. The ward is named for and donated by Nathan P. Coburn, a local boot manufacturer, and member of the Board of Trustees.
1894
  • The Pratt-Converse Nurses Home is completed, serving as residence to the hospital’s nurses and trainees. Lucius Gale Pratt, a wholesale grocer, railroad investor and banker, and Edmund Winchester Converse, a retailer, donate more than $20,000 for the construction of the Pratt-Converse Nurses home. It would be the first of the Hospital’s building dedicated fro use by is nursing service.
  • Newton Cottage Hospital name is changed to the Newton Hospital. 
  • Training School for Nurses name changes to Newton Hospital Training School for Nurses.    
1898    
  • Three surgical buildings open: Haskell-Emerson Operating Room, Bray Recovery Ward for Men and Eldredge Recovery Ward for Women. The operating room building had a side loading dock, for direct delivery to the ward and to serve as an ambulance entrance.
  • The first children are admitted into the new Elizabeth Dennison Ward for Children that is donated by Charles Sumner Dennison, a machine design engineer and member of the Hospital Board, in memory of his young daughter, Elizabeth
1900-1929
1900
  • There are 937 patients treated.  The average hospital stay was 24 days. 
  • On May 31 horse drawn fire apparatus were rushed to the flaming central contagious ward. The Contagious Wards A and B are greatly damaged.
1902
  • The Contagious wards and administration building are rebuilt, in brick this time, by the City of Newton.
  • The Hospital's first X-ray machine is installed.
  • The Board of the Aid Association appoints twelve of the women’s group’s members to a committee, to ‘visit’ the Hospital.
1904
  • The first intern apprentices arrive at the Hospital and initiate an affiliation between Newton Hospital and Tufts College School of Medicine
1905
  • The Paine Domestic Building opens, providing a new kitchen, bakery, food storage and laundry facilities. The domestic building is attached to the Hospital's boiler house, located at the center of the hospital campus.
  • By the end of 1905, the close of the cottage era, the hospital’s yearly patient load was 950 cases and the inpatient bed capacity had grown to 70.
1906
  • Ellison Hall, a second nurse’s residence is opened.  It will soon be connected to the existing Pratt-Converse Nurses Home, by corridor – which is connected by tunnel to the hospital’s surgical suites.
1908
  • The Newton Cottage Hospital becomes a sprawling institution of cottages, tunnels and gardens. It changes its name to the Newton Hospital.
  • The final cottage building, Founders Memorial, is donated by local philanthropist Mellon Bray and dedicated to the many founding individuals responsible for the success of the hospital in its first 25 years. Especially built for maternity patients, Founders is the first of the hospital’s buildings to have private rooms for patients, rather than wards. It quickly became the public symbol of the hospitals prosperity and its currency with modern medical practice. Following the construction of Founder’s Memorial, the hospital’s cottage complex is complete and remains constant for twenty years.
  • Newton Cottage Hospital becomes a sprawling institution of cottages, tunnels, and gardens. It changes its name to the Newton Hospital.
1908- 1911
  • Four parcels of adjacent land, totalling six acres, are given to the Hospital
1910
  • The Outpatient Clinics open, including an orthopedic service - one of only two in the Greater Boston area. The Urgent Care Clinic provides care to those needing immediate medical attention for minor injuries or ailments. These clinics would expand and specialize in the decades to come.
1913
  • Social Work is established as a Hospital service.

1917

  • A specially trained nurse anesthetist becomes a member of the surgical team.
  • Volunteers supplement the work of staff in the Hospital.
1918
  • Tents and temporary buildings are erected to deal with the influenza pandemic and the influx of World War I wounded.
  • The Well-Baby Clinic opens.
  • Early X-ray and Laboratory services are formalized.
1920
  • Medical record keeping begins. A woman takes notes about patients in the doctors' scrub room.
1922
  • Obstetrics is established as a service (formerly a medical-surgical service) with a staff of specialists. Nose and Throat services, Prenatal Clinic, Serological Clinic and Dermatology Clinic opens.
  • Outpatient Department expands services.
  • First competitive Aid scholarships for Training School students are established. 
1923
  • Planning begins for the first of the Hospital's high-rise buildings with a site plan showing the proposed South, East, and North Wings. At this time, the Hospital's Cottage facility was at its peak.
1924
  • An official and expanded laboratory is established, performing blood counts and urinalyses.
  • Eye Clinic opens.
  • The first dermatologist joins the medical staff. 
1925
  • Medical Records becomes a formal department.
  • The Benefit Shop, the first of the Aid’s Thrift and Clothing Shops, opens at 5 Washington Terrace, Newtonville.
1927
  • Physiotherapy is offered as a hospital service, patients suffering from fractures and shocks.
  • Construction of the South Wing in 1927 marks the Newton Hospital’s transition to the era of “modern medicine”.
  • Cancer Clinic opens.
1929
  • The South and East Wings are opened, complete with a dedicated accident floor to care for emergency patients serviced by some of the first horseless ambulances. This new main building was the first to be built by the hospital corporation rather than a benefactor and would centralize most patient clinical services.
  • The Newton Hospital Pharmacy opens.
  • Pathology becomes a department.
  • A new Boiler House is built, adjacent to the Morgue.
  • The maternity department relocates, organizing care with separate delivery, nursery, and recovery units.
1930-1969
1930    
  • Gynecology Clinic opens.
1931
  • Department of Anesthesia is established.
  • A full-time teaching supervisor is named to the School of Nursing.
1932
  • Pediatrics becomes an independent clinical service.
  • A full-time head is appointed to the Accident Floor.
1933
  • An electrocardiograph machine is first used.
1934
  • Vascular Clinic opens.
1936
  • Cardiac Clinic opens.
  • The Hospital celebrates fifty years of providing clinical services to the community. 
1937
  • Thyroid Clinic opens.
  • Allen-Riddle Hall, a new dormitory for the Nursing School, is built.
  • The first physician anesthetist joins the staff. 
1938
  • Genito-Infectious Clinic and Psychiatric Clinic opens.
  • The Physical Therapy Department opens.
1939
  • A Diabetic Clinic and a Blood Bank are established.
  • The first full-time resident physician comes to the hospital, marking the beginning of a program of post-graduate medical education.
1940
  • Endocrinology Clinic opens.
1941
  • Gastrointestinal Clinic and Tumor Clinic opens.
  • The first Chief of Urology is named.
1942
  •  A Personnel Department is formed.
1943
  • The Psychiatric Service begins.
  • Central Sterile Supply is established.
  • Volunteer Services is formalized as a department.
  • The Coffee and Gift Shop opens (August 9).
1945
  • The Hospital changes its name to Newton-Wellesley Hospital.
  • The Nursing School is also changed to Newton-Wellesley Hospital School of Nursing.
  • The Medical Library is formally established. 
1946
  • The Cardiology Department is formed.
  • Physician Chief's are named for Thoracic and Oral Surgery.
1947
  • The Gastroenterology Service opens.
  • NWH Hospital Aid establishes scholarships for nurses training.
1948
  • Construction begins on the North Wing; a centralized six-story building which mirror's the South Wing.
1949
  • Allergy Service is offered.
  • First meeting of the Newton-Wellesley Hospital Junior Aid Association begins (December).
  • First "Come and See" tour of the hospital, now Friendly Hospital Day begins.
1950
  • The North Wing is opened. Only the first 4 floors were completed and included the Laboratory, Children’s Department, and two in-patient units on 3 North and 4 North. The upper two floors remain unfinished.
  • Usen Auditorium is opened in the renovated space of the former Mellen-Bray Surgical Recovery Ward for men.
1951
  • Central Supply Service is expanded.
  • Beginning of the Baby Picture Service.

1954

  • The Post-Operative Recovery Room opens.

1955

  • The Hospital Surgical Service installs its first pacemaker. This machine sends electrical impulses into a patient's chest, "reminding" the heart to beat.
  • A new parking area is added.

1957

  • A Radioactive Isotope Laboratory opens as part of the Radiology Department.
  • Purchasing becomes a department.
  • A new service provides television sets for patients; 29 are coin-operated with under-pillow speakers.

1958

  • The fifth and sixth floors of the North Wing open as nursing units.
  • Enlarged Emergency and admitting areas are opened.
1959
  • A Special Care Unit opens, the predecessor of the Intensive Care Unit/Critical Care Unit.
  • The Radiology Department adds two advanced X-ray machines.
1960
  • A Public Relations department opens.  
  • Team Nursing is instituted on the inpatient units.
  • The Newton-Wellesley Hospital Aid, and the newly formed Junior Aid, Associations' fundraising activities provide: an electronic paging system, furnishings for the gynecology and psychiatric clinics, four house officer apartments, an electroencephalograph, a Volemetron security control and monitoring panel, a cardiac monitor for the special care unit, an auto analyzer, and electric blood volume measurement equipment.
1962
  • Plans to construct the first Medical Offices Building are established. 
1963
  • The first Hospital pharmacy "cooperative" student is employed at Newton-Wellesley Hospital to complete course requirements for Northeastern University.
  • The hospital welcomes a Chaplain and Chaplain Coordinator.
  • Ward A is remodeled as apartments for interns and residents.
  • The Print Shop opens.
  • The School of Nursing observes its 75th year.
1964
  • The first Medical Office Building is built.
1965
  • In conjunction with Tufts University School of Medicine, Newton-Wellesley Hospital begins an independently accredited post-graduate residency program in internal medicine.
  • The hospital celebrates the birth of the 50,000th baby.
  • Newspapers are delivered daily to patients throughout the hospital.
1967
  • The Hospital becomes the first of seven area institutions to participate in a joint computer program sponsored by the Massachusetts Hospital Association.
  • The Radiology Department adds a staff physicist and initiates a Nuclear Medicine Program with a gamma camera for radioisotope scanning. 
1968
  • An Infection Control Program is initiated, to formally monitor infection incidence data to be reported to the Hospital's Infection Control Committee.
  • The Hospital and Northeastern University join in a new two-year associate in science program to help meet a serious shortage of radiology technicians.
  • A Parking lot is opened beyond Ward B for employees. 
  • West Wing construction begins, bringing major disruption to the Hospital's front entrance and emergency room.
1970-1999
1971  
  • Security Department is established.
  • Men entered the Nursing School for the first time.
1972
  • The West Wing is completed, providing new Orthopedic, Cardiology and Special Amenity patient units, along with 11 new Operating Rooms and a Post-Anesthesia Unit.
  • The Outpatient Department is centralized off the new Main Lobby.
  • Expanded Aid Association, Coffee and Gifts Shops are built between the lobby and the Medical Office Building.
1973
  • The lower portion of the Central Wing is built, providing a new Pathology Laboratory and an expanded Medical Records Department.
  • The Medical Library doubles in size and is named for long-time trustee Paul Talbot Babson, Jr.
1974
  • New Intensive Care and Cardiac Care Units are built in the North Wing.
  • An Inpatient Mental Health Unit opens on the newly renovated third floor of the East Wing.
1975
  • The Day Hospital, an Outpatient Mental Health Service is established.
  • Quality Assessment and Risk Management functions are formalized. 
1976
  • A second Medical Office Building with a connecting parking garage is completed.
1978
  • The Children's Corner Childcare Center opens on campus, occupying the administrative building (Ward C) between the two brick contagious buildings; dating to 1902.
  • The Emergency Department reorganizes to employ only Board Certified Emergency Physicians, becoming the first community hospital in the state to require such physician credentialing.
  • The Utilization Review function is formalized. 
1981
  • The Hospital celebrates 100 years of incorporation.
  • The Department of Rehabilitation Services is formed to oversee physical therapy, hand therapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, and orthopedic technology services.
  • The Health-at-Work Program provides the community and businesses with occupational medicine, health education, fitness and wellness programs and medical screenings at either the hospital or the workplace.
  • A state-of-the-art Vascular Laboratory opens, non-invasive technology to evaluate peripheral vascular disease.
1982
  • The Central Wing is expanded to include a new third floor, plus an enlarged third floor over the east wing, to house an Involuntary Psychiatric Unit.
  • All maternity units are renovated and consolidated on the fifth floor providing a new Birthing Center, a centralized Nursery and a Special Care Nursery.
  • In-house 24-hour coverage by neonatologists is instituted as well as 24-hour Anesthesia coverage.
  • Radiology Department installs a dedicated Mammography unit and a C.T. Scan for diagnostic purposes.
1983
  • NeWell Health Corporation is formed. The Newton Visiting Nurse Association is reorganized as NeWell Home Health Care.
1984
  • The Neurophysiology Department opens a Sleep Disorder Center.
  • Biomedical Engineering becomes a department to provide support and maintenance to the Hospital's clinical equipment.
  • The Second Century Capital Campaign is launched to fund major construction and renovation project.  
1985
  • Hospital Information Systems becomes a department.
1986
  • Newton-Wellesley Hospital celebrates One Hundred Years of clinical operations.
  • The cardiovascular Health Center is formed.
  • The Pathology Department doubles in size and is computerized.
  • The Newton-Wellesley Hospital School of Nursing closes, after having graduated nearly 3,500 nurses since it admitted its first trainee in 1888.
  • The Hospital's first In-Vitro baby is born.
1987
  • The Henderson Ambulatory Surgery Unit is built to accommodate the growing practice of same-day surgery.
  • Unfinished space in the Central Wing is converted into Administrative Offices.
  • Renovation of Pratt-Ellison begins.
1988
  • The Major Construction and Renovation Project (also known as the Second Century Project) begins.
  • Many office-based support departments relocate to Pratt-Ellison and Allen-Riddle buildings.
  • A seven-phase renovation of the Emergency Department plus the addition of three stories to the Central Wing and an Auditorium and Conference Center to the South Wing are project highlights.
  • Secure computer facilities are built in the Central Wing for the expanding Hospital Information Services Department.
1989
  • The Hospital installs new telecommunications and computer systems that electronically link all hospital departments and all employees by providing networked electronic mail and messaging and business and clinical information concerning hospital operations and patient care.
  • The Central Wing is renamed the Usen Building.
  • Nursing units in the North Wing are moved into new Patient Care Units on Usen-4 and Usen-6.
  • A single-room maternity unit opens on Usen-5, allowing women to labor, deliver and recover in a single setting.
  • Storeroom facilities open in the South basement.
  • Alterations transform the 1898 Eldredge Cottage into the Cardiovascular Health Center.
  • A 'mobile' Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) service begins with the Haskell Cottage renovation.
  • The Loop Road and the Parking Lots are rebuilt. 
1990
  • The Medical Library moves into new quarters on 3 South.
  • The Emergency Department's seven-phase renovation is completed.
  • Completely renovated, the 4-South Oncology Unit reopens. Cardiology, Pulmonary, Respiratory, and Neurophysiology Departments plus the Pharmacy and Volunteer Services move to new quarters in the North Wing.
  • The new Bowles Conference Center and the Shipley Auditorium in the South Wing are dedicated and provide enhanced facilities for medical education, staff and community.
  • The Bray Cottage is renovated to house the Department of Medicine.
  • The Loop-Road Garage for employee parking is built.
  • The first Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy in the Boston area is performed. 
1991
  • Six patient care units are refurbished: 5-South, 5-West, 4- West, 3-West, 3-East, and Usen-3.
  • The Founders Building is renovated for the Psychiatric Ambulatory Service.
  • A new Prayer Room and Chaplains' Office opens. Construction of a third Medical Office Building begins. 
  • The FOQUS '95 campaign is initiated to bring the principles of total quality management and continuous quality improvement into the day-to-day workplace. The program features comprehensive training and education for all employees. Interdisciplinary and multi-level task forces and work groups identify and implement improvement opportunities, which contribute to efficient and quality health care. 
1992
  • 6 West is renovated as a 24-bed Pediatric Patient Care Unit.
  • Rehabilitation Services is enlarged. Mammography, Ultrasound, and the Special Procedures Room are upgraded in the Radiology Department.
  • The Boiler Plant receives a major renovation.  
  • A specially commissioned stained glass panel, featuring a centered dove, is donated and dedicated to the New Prayer Room.
  • The third medical office building opens, consisting of twenty-three physician office suites. 
1993
  • The Hospital performs its first cardiac catheterization procedure.
  • 6-North is renovated for diagnostic Pediatric Gastroenterology Services.
  • 5-North is completely renovated adding seven LDRP rooms for the single-room maternity service.
  • Two levels are added to the Washington Street Garage.
  • Newton-Wellesley and the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital enter into a collaborative relationship in the opening of an outpatient facility close to the Hospital.
  • Newton-Wellesley Hospital's Mammography Service receives full accreditation from the American College of Radiology.
  • A Substance Abuse program is initiated through the Department of Psychiatry.
  • A Women's Imaging and Diagnostic Center opens in MOB III.
  • Physician chiefs of all clinical departments participate in Clinical Physician Advisory Committees (CPAC's) to evaluate current services and to plan for future needs. As a result, intensive planning begins for expanded and new operating rooms and surgical support functions -the Ambulatory Surgery Project.
1994
  • Newton-Wellesley receives national publicity in Modern Healthcare magazine as one of the years Top 100 U.S. Hospitals according to the annual HCIA/Mercer Study of hospital performance in over 5000 community and teaching institutions.
  • In response to physician, staff and public needs for improved way finding, the three medical office buildings are renamed: Blue (Office Building #1), White (Office Building #2) and Green (Office Building #3). 
1995
  • Domestic Violence Prevention Council wins the New England Hospital Assembly's Blue Ribbon Exhibit Award for its Computer-Based Training Program dealing with domestic violence identification and intervention. The program is marketed and distributed nationally.
  • Two floors are added to the Loop-Road Garage, expanding parking on the campus to 1,793 spaces.
  • The Hospital works with the Massachusetts and City of Newton Historical Commissions to gain permission to demolish five original cottage buildings (Founders, Pratt-Converse, Haskell-Emerson, Eldredge and Bray) and agrees to protect its five remaining historical buildings (Ellison; Contagious Ward A and its administration building, housing the Children's Corner; Allen-Riddle Hall and the Boiler House. In addition, the Hospital plans for permanent historical exhibits and projects to document its Cottage Hospital past. Demolition is completed in December. 
1996
  • The Hospital receives a full three-year accreditation, with commendation, from the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Health Care Organizations.
  • The Pharmacy opens a satellite pharmacy in the operating room and installs automated medication dispensing machines on patient care units.
  • The entire hospital campus is re-landscaped. 
1997
  • The Ambulatory Services Building opens in February 1997, providing state-of-the-art facilities for 16 operating rooms, plus; pre-operative and post-anesthesia area; and a permanent magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) suite.
  • In addition, support departments and services, including; Central Sterile Supply; Pre-Admission Visits & Consultation; and Anesthesiology; as well as Locker Rooms and Lounges have expanded and efficient space.
1999
  • NWH receives a full, three-year accreditation, with commendation from the Joint Commission Accreditation of Health Care Organizations.
  • NWH joins the Partners HealthCare System, and is now a fully integrated institution in the Partners Enterprise, which was founded by the Massachusetts General Hospital and the Brigham & Women’s Hospital.
2000 - present
2001  
  • The Hospital affiliates with MassGeneral Hospital for Children.
  • For the second time, NWH receives national publicity being named a Top 100 U.S. Hospitals according, now, to Solucient’s study of hospital performance in over 5000 community and teaching institutions. 
2003
  • Newton-Wellesley opens the Waltham Urgent Care Center.
  • A successful rotation for MGH medical residents was established
  • Organizational Excellence is now the standard for NWH operations.
  • Fiscal year '03 finished with a $4.8 million operating gain, meeting our budget
  • Following the closure of nearby Waltham Hospital, the Newton-Wellesley Urgent Care Center opens in Waltham and welcomes many Waltham physicians, nurses and staff to the NWH community
  • New physicians to chair the departments of Medicine, Surgery and Psychiatry were welcomed
  • A successful 2003 Gala and golf/tennis tournament produced record fund-raising events.
  • A new, interactive and user-friendly Newton-Wellesley website was launched.
  • For the third time, NWH receives national publicity being named a Top 100 U.S. Hospitals according, now, to Solucient’s study of hospital performance in over 5000 community and teaching institutions
  • 3 West was renovated and opened to address the growing need for inpatient beds
  • The fifth floor was renovated to create a completely renovated maternity unit.  The Special Care nursery moves to the renovated space, on the 6th floor
2004
  • For the fourth time, and for the last three of the past four years, NWH receives national publicity being named a Top 100 U.S. Hospitals according, now, to Solucient’s study of hospital performance in over 5000 community and teaching institutions.
  • The Shipley Fitness Center, for employees, is opened in the Ward A of the Hospital’s original contagious buildings.
  • Computerized Physician Order Entry is introduced on the Hospital’s patient care units to make medication, diagnostic and treatment orders more efficient and accurate.
  • Plans are finalized and 12.8 million dollars in funds are raised begun to create an Emergency Department four times the size of the current facility on 1-South.
  • More that $10 million dollars in charitable donations are received by the Hospital, a record-to-date.
2005
  • NWH is named one of ’50 Exceptional U.S. Hospitals’, based on quality, by Consumers Digest Magazine.
  • NWH receives Stroke Center designation from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
  • NWH’s Human Research Departments receives full accreditation from the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, becoming- the first community hospital in the country to do so.
  • Construction of a new Emergency Department begins. The construction plan calls for:
      • The creation of a new ED on top of the existing 3-story Wikstrom Surgical Building, plus
      • The construction of two additional floors atop the ED for Ambulatory Care
      • The relocation of the Ellison Building, further to the rear of the hospital’s campus, in order to accommodate a new roadway to the ED
      • The construction of an additional 570 parking spaces in and around the existing rear parking structures and lots
      • The construction of a pedestrian bridge connector between the lobby of the Wikstrom Surgical Building and the Medical Office Buildings.
      • The conversion of the existing emergency department to the Joan and James Vernon Cancer Center.
2006
  • NWH is named to Solucient's list of the country's 100 top hospitals for the fourth time in 5 years.
  • Construction of the Maxwell Blum Emergency Pavilion is completed.
  • NWH PHO is named to the 2006 Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Adult and Pediatric Physician Group Honor Rolls.
  • The Charitable Foundation team raises $6,060,000 exceeding their $6 million fundraising goal. The goal of $17 million in support of the Blum Emergency Pavilion is also exceeded by $1 million.
  • The Charitable Foundation sponsors the 12th Annual NWH Golf And Tennis Tournament, raising more than $150,000 for the NWH Annual Fund. These funds go directly to support the Hospital to provide exemplary patient care.
  • The Buy-a-Brick Program has raised more than $75,000 for the hospital 
2007
  • NWH is named to Solucient's list of the country's 100 Top Hospitals for the 5th time in 6years.
  • NWH receives the distinction of an Approval Award with commendation for a three-year period from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons -- the highest recognition awarded.
  • The Maxwell Blum Pavilion opens for patients on January 17, 2007.
  • The Jim & Ellen Kaplan Center for Joint Reconstruction Surgery opens in April.
  • NWH partners with the Boston Athletic Association for the 2007 Boston Marathon as an official provider of the Marathon.
  • NWH is again ranked among the best hospitals in the country in the areas of quality care.
  • The Charitable Foundation closes the Fund Year with more than $6.8 million raised. It sponsors the 13th annual Golf and Tennis Tournament and raises $165,000 for the NWH Annual Fund.
  • The NWH Center for Weight Loss Surgery receives accreditation as a Level 1A Bariatric Surgery Center from the American College of Surgeons, which is the highest level a center can receive.
  • Boston Business Journal names NWH to the list of "Best Places to Work 2007"
  • A new Cancer Center is planned for the South Wing of the Hospital.
  • Construction continues on the new ORs -- three new rooms and a storage room will be completed by the end of the year. 
2008
  • NWH Ranks third in the state in a recent patient survey published in the Boston Globe, saying they would definitely recommend the Hospital.
  • The Vernon Cancer Center construction project is scheduled for a summer 2009 opening.
  • The new Inpatient Bed Unit on the sixth floor of the Wikstrom Building, installation of the new air-handling unit on the roof of the South Wing, and construction of the linear accelerator vault are all scheduled to be completed in the Fall of 2009.
  • NWH is in the process of applying for a permit to open an Ambulatory Surgical Center in Framingham in late fall 2009. It will consist of 4 operating rooms and 4 procedure rooms.
  • The Charitable Foundation has reported that $11.1 million has been raised toward the $12 million goal for the Vernon Cancer Center.
  • The Emergency Department patient satisfaction scores were in the 98th percentile in the month of November.
  • The Radiology Department is now a provider of MRI services.
  • NWH has a new Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Program.
  • Dr. Michael Lew received the Generations of Leadership Award and Louise Cline Slotnick received the George L. White Award for her work in establishing the grief support group.
  • The Pediatric GI Endoscopy Unit at NWH was awarded the 2008 Margaret L. Bauman Outstanding Medical Provider Award for excellent patient care.
  • The Association for Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs Inc, awarded NWH "Full Reaccreditation" for our Human Research Protection Program. 
2009
  • NWH has again been named to the Harvard Pilgrim Honor Roll for CY2009.
  • Vernon Cancer Center treated its first patient on September 21. Reiki therapy and cancer yoga classes started at the beginning of November. Next, the center will be hiring a massage therapist and hypnotherapist, perform an inventory of support groups and develop a referral network for on-going psychosocial support for patients as well as palliative care components. Services for survivors will also be addressed.
  • The cancer program has received the Commission on Cancer 3-year Accreditation with Commendation from the American College of Surgeons.
  • Changes in parking have been made to provide better availability for our patients.
  • Our Primary Stroke Service Program is expected to receive a "deficiency free" report.
  • The Slotnick Pavilion on 6 East opened to patients in October. It has 24 private rooms.
  • NWH has been preparing for flu season by monitoring the local and national situations regarding H1N1 and communicating information to the community.
  • In Fund Year 2009, philanthropic support of the Hospital totaled over $6.5 million in gifts and pledges.
  • FY09 ended the fiscal year well ahead of budget.
  • 43 physicians affiliated with NWH were named to the Best Doctors in America list for 2009-10.
  • Student Group named NWH Fire Starter of the Month, which designates us as a hospital that keeps the true essence of the organization alive and flourishing in service and caring.
  • Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Massachusetts recognized the Center for Weight Loss Surgery with a Blue Distinction for making a difference in healthcare outcomes and value in the area of bariatric surgery.
2010
  • The American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (ACS NSQIP) recognized Newton-Wellesley Hospital as one of 26 ACS NSQIP participating hospitals in the United States that have achieved exemplary outcomes for surgical patient care.
  • Newton-Wellesley Hospital received The American Heart Association/ American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Triple Gold Performance Achievement Award for achievement in coronary artery disease, stroke and/or heart failure treatment.
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts recognized Newton-Wellesley Hospital (NWH) with a Blue Distinction® Designation for demonstrating reliability in delivering knee/hip replacement with better overall outcomes for patients.
  • Boston Magazine featured Newton-Wellesley Hospital in their annual “Top Doctors” issue as a top community hospital outside of Boston. The article also features 24 Newton-Wellesley Hospital physicians as top doctors in the state.
  • Newton-Wellesley named one of the Top Places to Work in Massachusetts in the third annual employee-based survey project from The Boston Globe.
2011
  • U.S. News Media & World Report’s 2011-12 Best Hospitals rankings recognized Newton-Wellesley as high performing in Urology.  
  • Newton-Wellesley designated as an Aetna Institutes™ of Quality for Bariatric Surgery.
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts recognized Newton-Wellesley Hospital (NWH) with a Blue Distinction® Designation for demonstrating reliability in delivering spine surgery with better overall outcomes for patients.
  • Newton-Wellesley Hospital’s medical oncology partner, New England Hematology/Oncology Associates (NEHOA), became one of the first oncology practices in the nation to be recognized by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI®) Certification Program, an affiliate of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).
  • Newton-Wellesley Hospital received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award. 
  • Fifty-four physicians affiliated with NWH appear on the Best Doctors in America® list for 2011-12. 

Creative Commons License
History of Newton-Wellesley Hospital by www.nwh.org is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

Find a Doctor

Find primary care physicians and specialists.

Events

10/27: Community Forum on Ebola Preparedness

Medical experts from Newton-Wellesley, the city of Newton, and Mass General will present about ebola, with a Q&A session. Mon, Oct. 27, NWH Shipley Auditorium - 7:00 to  8:30 pm
View Flyer >

10/28: Free Running Clinic

Join us on Tuesday, Oct. 28, from 6:00-8:00 pm in the Shipley Auditorium at Newton-Wellesley Hospital for a free presentation for beginner and intermediate runners. Registration required.
Learn More >

News

"Top Doctors"

Boston Magazine featured Newton-Wellesley Hospital in their annual “Top Doctors” issue as a top community hospital outside of Boston.
Learn More >  

US News and World Report

US News and World Report has ranked Newton-Wellesley Hospital 16th in Massachusetts.
Learn More >