Behavioral medicine is an interdisciplinary field that
addresses the psychosocial aspects of illness, health and
healing. Newton-Wellesley Hospital offers behavioral medicine
services through the Pain Management Department
to enhance physical well-being by supporting mental,
emotional and spiritual well being. After a complete consultation,
the psychologist provides patients with specific
cognitive and behavioral interventions in either individual
or group settings. These interventions typically address the
roles of thoughts, emotions, behaviors and the social
context for promoting or maintaining health and for preventing
Individuals will receive an initial assessment
with a thorough review of their needs and
Specific services include:
- Performance enhancement training
- Self-hypnosis training for symptom management
- Visualization and meditation training
- Cognitive restructuring and stress management
- Pain coping and lifestyle adjustment
- Sleep skills training
- Group-based wellness education and support
Is this right for me?
You and your physician may have observed that psychological
and social factors can exacerbate or prolong your
medical symptoms. Your physician may recognize that
psychosocial stress is interfering with your desire to be
healthier and more active. In these situations, your physician
may offer you additional resources to manage your symptoms,
maintain your fitness and support a balanced lifestyle.
How will this help me?
- Improve your ability to self-manage distressful physical symptoms
- Promote increased energy and enthusiasm for life
- Instill greater self-confidence and self-esteem
- Expand your coping skills for stressful situations
- Enhance your ability to balance a demanding lifestyle without burnout
- Sharpen your focus for improved performance in mental and physical activities
To schedule and appointment for an initial
consultation, call 617-243-6142.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
March 23: Free Health Fair and Community Open HouseJoin us from 9:00 am to noon at the Newton-Wellesley Ambulatory Care Center for health screenings, physician Q&As, special guests and more.
Feb. and March: Pre-Marathon Runner's Injury ScreeningsYou will be assessed by a physical therapist and given appropriate treatment recommendations.
Learn More >