Behavioral Medicine Services
Behavioral medicine is an interdisciplinary field that addresses the psychosocial aspects of illness, health and healing. Newton-Wellesley Hospital offers behavioral medicine services through the Pain Management Department to enhance physical well-being by supporting mental, emotional and spiritual well being.
After a complete consultation, the psychologist provides patients with specific cognitive and behavioral interventions in either individual or group settings. These interventions typically address the roles of thoughts, emotions, behaviors and the social context for promoting or maintaining health and for preventing illness. Individuals will receive an initial assessment with a thorough review of their needs and realistic goals.
Specific services include:
- Performance enhancement training
- Self-hypnosis training for symptom management
- Visualization and meditation training
- Cognitive restructuring and stress management
- Pain coping and lifestyle adjustment
- Sleep skills training
- Group-based wellness education and support
Is this right for me?
You and your physician may have observed that psychological and social factors can exacerbate or prolong your medical symptoms. Your physician may recognize that psychosocial stress is interfering with your desire to be healthier and more active. In these situations, your physician may offer you additional resources to manage your symptoms, maintain your fitness and support a balanced lifestyle.
How will this help me?
- Improve your ability to self-manage distressful physical symptoms
- Promote increased energy and enthusiasm for life
- Instill greater self-confidence and self-esteem
- Expand your coping skills for stressful situations
- Enhance your ability to balance a demanding lifestyle without burnout
- Sharpen your focus for improved performance in mental and physical activities
To schedule an appointment for an initial consultation, call 617-243-6142.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
February Pre-Marathon Runner’s Injury Screenings
Come to one of our free runner’s screenings where you will be assessed by a physical therapist and given appropriate treatment recommendations as they relate to your goals.
Learn More >
Wellness Center Classes
Did you know we offer a variety of exercise and fitness classes designed to accommodate various levels and abilities? Many of our classes are starting this January. Our schedule is available for you to view.
Learn More >