Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Joanne Borg-Stein, MD, Chief
Medical Director, Newton-Wellesley Hospital Spine Center
2014 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02462
Dr. Borg-Stein is also Medical Director of Spaulding-Wellesley Rehabilitation Center, 65 Walnut Street, Suite 260, Wellesley, MA 02481
The Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation provides inpatient and outpatient consultation and medical student and residency education. The hospital is a teaching site for the Harvard Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation training program. Members of the division participate in clinical research and author book chapters and review articles.
Clinical services provided at Newton-Wellesley Hospital:
- All aspects of nonoperative spine care, including diagnosis, medication management, trigger point injection, Botox injection, prolotherapy, and medical acupuncture
- Interventional spine care that encompasses diagnostic and fluoroscopically guided spinal injections and minimally invasive disc procedures
- Participation in the Newton-Wellesley Hospital Pain Management Service, an interdisciplinary effort with anesthesiology, psychiatry, physical therapy, psychology, pharmacy, neurosurgery, and clergy
- Osteopathic spinal manipulation
- Neurophysiology and electrodiagnosis
Clinical services provided at the Spaulding-Wellesley Rehabilitation Center:
- Sports injury and general musculoskeletal rehabilitation including diagnosis, functional exercise, medication management, diagnostic and therapeutic joint, soft tissue and ligament injections, and musculoskeletal ultrasound-guided, platelet-rich plasma injections
- Women’s musculoskeletal care (especially pregnancy related)
- Pain rehabilitation
- Prosthetics and orthotics
- Specialized rehabilitation for fibromyalgia and myofascial pain
- Spasticity management, including therapeutic nerve blocks and chemodenervation with Botox
- Occupational injury rehabilitation
- Neurologic and geriatric rehabilitation
- Spine care and rehabilitation, including spinal injections
- Osteopathic manual medicine
To find a specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation, please email CareFinder@partners.org or call us toll-free 866-NWH-DOCS (866-694-3627) or 617-243-6566, Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm EST.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
March 23: Free Health Fair and Community Open HouseJoin us from 9:00 am to noon at the Newton-Wellesley Ambulatory Care Center for health screenings, physician Q&As, special guests and more.
Feb. and March: Pre-Marathon Runner's Injury ScreeningsYou will be assessed by a physical therapist and given appropriate treatment recommendations.
Learn More >