Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Joanne Borg-Stein, MD, Chief
Medical Director, Newton-Wellesley Hospital Spine Center
Newton-Wellesley Ambulatory Care Center
159 Wells Avenue
Newton, MA 02459
Dr. Borg-Stein is also Medical Director of Spaulding-Wellesley Rehabilitation Center, 65 Walnut Street, Suite 260, Wellesley, MA 02481
The Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation provides inpatient and outpatient consultation and medical student and residency education. The hospital is a teaching site for the Harvard Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation training program. Members of the division participate in clinical research and author book chapters and review articles.
Clinical services provided at Newton-Wellesley Hospital:
- All aspects of nonoperative spine care, including diagnosis, medication management, trigger point injection, Botox injection, prolotherapy, and medical acupuncture
- Interventional spine care that encompasses diagnostic and fluoroscopically guided spinal injections and minimally invasive disc procedures
- Participation in the Newton-Wellesley Hospital Pain Management Service, an interdisciplinary effort with anesthesiology, psychiatry, physical therapy, psychology, pharmacy, neurosurgery, and clergy
- Osteopathic spinal manipulation
- Neurophysiology and electrodiagnosis
Clinical services provided at the Spaulding-Wellesley Rehabilitation Center:
- Sports injury and general musculoskeletal rehabilitation including diagnosis, functional exercise, medication management, diagnostic and therapeutic joint, soft tissue and ligament injections, and musculoskeletal ultrasound-guided, platelet-rich plasma injections
- Women’s musculoskeletal care (especially pregnancy related)
- Pain rehabilitation
- Prosthetics and orthotics
- Specialized rehabilitation for fibromyalgia and myofascial pain
- Spasticity management, including therapeutic nerve blocks and chemodenervation with Botox
- Occupational injury rehabilitation
- Neurologic and geriatric rehabilitation
- Spine care and rehabilitation, including spinal injections
- Osteopathic manual medicine
Call or Email Us to Find a Doctor
We offer three easy and convenient ways to for you to find the doctor who is right for you:
- Use our Find a Physician online search tool to browse available physicians. (Specialties are listed in accordance with the American Board of Medical Specialties and the American Osteopathic Association.)
- Fill out our CareFinder Online Form and a representative will contact you within 24 hours, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Call 617-243-6566 or toll free 866-NWH-DOCS (694-3627) Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm EST to speak to a CareFinder representative.
If you are experiencing a health emergency call 911.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Feb. Runner's Injury ScreeningsIs an injury or pain interfering with your running goals? Come to one of our FREE runner's screenings for assessment and appropriate treatment.
» More Info
Upcoming ClassesCheck out this season's latest childbirth, exercise, Pilates, Yoga and Tai Chi classes at the Hospital.
» Class Schedule