Vinik Family Pediatric Emergency Room
When your child requires specialized emergency services in an environment close to home, Newton-Wellesley Hospital is here to provide the highest level of care through a collaboration with MassGeneral Hospital for Children.
Serving Greater Boston communities, The Maxwell Blum Emergency Pavilion has a dedicated eight-bed pediatric Vinik Family Emergency Room equipped with the specialized equipment needed to care for children.
Rooms are private, separated from the general emergency areas and staffed by pediatric emergency medicine specialists. Approximately 95% of pediatric patients are cared for in the pediatric emergency room by our specialty trained pediatric emergency physicians. During periods of high patient volume, some younger adults may also be cared for in the pediatric emergency room.
Our Pediatric Emergency Services
Our services include:
- Board-certified pediatric emergency physicians specializing in the acute care of infants and children on site 16 hours per day in addition to general emergency physicians available 24 hours per day
- Highly skilled registered nurses trained in pediatric emergency nursing
- Certified child life specialists to help children and their families feel calm, safe and secure
- Round-the-clock pediatric surgical coverage
- Pediatric-trained anesthesiologists
- Private, pediatric-dedicated exam and treatment rooms
- Child-friendly facilities with separate waiting rooms and play area
Physician pediatric emergency medicine specialists are on site from 10:00 am to 2:00 am daily and augment the care provided by the general emergency medicine specialists on site 24 hours per day. Pediatric sub-specialists from the medical staffs of both Newton-Wellesley Hospital and the Massachusetts General Hospital for Children work together to provide specialty consultation when necessary.
Child Life Specialists
One of the unique aspects of the pediatric emergency room is the onsite presence of a child life specialist during all hours of operation. The child life specialist interacts with children, family members and other staff members to create a more pediatric-friendly atmosphere and better emergency room experience.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Wellness Center Classes
Did you know we offer a variety of exercise and fitness classes designed to accommodate various levels and abilities? Our schedule is available for you to view.
Learn More >