ADA RecertificationThe Newton-Wellesley Diabetes Education Program received re-certification in Summer 2010 by the American Diabetes Association (ADA) through August 2014. ADA certification assures that the clinical professionals involved with the program have excellent credentials and experience as diabetes educators, and that approved education programs have met the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education Programs.
Programs recognized by the ADA voluntarily submit to a rigorous review process by diabetes experts who evaluate each program on its ability to provide patients with a comprehensive individualized education program. Programs that achieve recognition status have a staff of knowledgeable health professionals who can provide patients with comprehensive information about diabetes management. The process gives professionals a national standard by which to measure the quality of services they provide and assures patients that they will receive high-quality service. The ADA certification is awarded for four years and was first awarded to the Nweton-Wellesley Hospital Diabetes Education Program in 2001.
A patient at an ADA-recognized program will be taught self-care skills that will promote better management of his or her individualized diabetes treatment regimen.
All approved education programs cover the following topics as needed:
- Diabetes overview
- Gestational diabetes
- Family involvement and social support
- Exercise and activity
- Stress and psychosocial adjustment
- Prevention, detection and treatment of acute and chronic complications
- Blood sugar monitoring
- Relationships among nutrition, exercise, medication and blood glucose levels
- Behavior changes strategies
- Foot, skin and dental care
- Use of health care systems and community resources
- Goal setting
- Risk factor reduction and problem solving
- Benefits, risks and management options for improving glucose control;
- Preconception care
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Free Flu Shot ClinicsBe wise and immunize
Upcoming Clinics >
Save the Date: Jan. 14 - Built to Run ClinicHelp for current or recurrent running injuries. Learn how to prevent future running injuries.
Learn More >