Post-Operative Day 2
Daily Plan of Care: Day Two
- You will continue with incentive spirometer to exercise your lungs.
- Pain medicines will continue, as you need them. The PCA device is usually stopped on this day and oral medicines for pain are used.
- A blood thinning (anticoagulant) medication will continue.
- IV fluids and antibiotics will be stopped.
- Smaller bandages will be put over your incision.
- You will be given a laxative at bedtime if needed.
- An orthopaedic resident, PA and NP will make rounds daily.
- Ice may be applied to your knee to help with swelling and pain.
- Compression boots will be worn to promote circulation and prevent blood clots. You may also have elastic stockings. The bladder catheter may be removed.
- Lab tests may be done.
- Your diet will be advanced as tolerated and fluids increased to prevent constipation.
- If you have not already done so, encourage a family member or friend to come to the Hospital to review the next day’s discharge planning with a member of your health care team. Staff will provide a tentative discharge time so you can arrange for transportation home.
Physical Therapy: Two sessions, one morning and one afternoon
- Progression of strengthening and range of motion exercises.
- Progression of bed mobility, transfers bed to chair and back and walking.
- Self-care activities such as bathing, dressing, grooming while sitting.
- Training in use of adaptive equipment, if needed.
- Bathroom transfers on and off commode or toilet.
- You will spend more time out of bed during the day.
- You should perform the exercises given by your therapists – try to do a little more each day.
- You will complete more walking and transfers from bed to chair with help from your therapists and nurses.
- Case manager or social worker may be in to further discuss discharge plan.
- Arrange for home services if needed.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
February Pre-Marathon Runner’s Injury Screenings
Come to one of our free runner’s screenings where you will be assessed by a physical therapist and given appropriate treatment recommendations as they relate to your goals.
Learn More >
Wellness Center Classes
Did you know we offer a variety of exercise and fitness classes designed to accommodate various levels and abilities? Many of our classes are starting this January. Our schedule is available for you to view.
Learn More >