Post-Operative Day 1
Everyone progresses at his or her own pace. The activities listed below are a guideline for what to expect during your hospital stay.
Daily Plan of Care: Day One
- You will continue with incentive spirometer to exercise your lungs.
- You will continue with oral medications or a pain pump that you control. It is important to communicate with staff how well your pain is being relieved.
- A blood thinning (anticoagulant) medication will continue.
- Ice may be applied to your hip to help with swelling and pain control.
- The nursing staff will assist you with bathing and changing positions in bed.
- Your doctor (resident, PA or NP) will remove the drain tube (if applicable) from your incision and may change the bandage.
- An orthopaedic resident, PA and NP will make rounds daily.
- You will continue to have an IV catheter.
- Additional blood may be administered.
- You may continue to have a bladder catheter.
- Compression boots will be worn to promote circulation and prevent blood clots. You may also have elastic stockings.
- Blood tests will be done.
- You will begin taking liquids and your usual diet as tolerated.
- Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy evaluations will be done.
- Maintain your hip precautions and follow positions to protect your joint.
- Sit at the edge of the bed with assistance.
- Perform exercises with your therapists, as you are able.
- Begin transfers from bed to chair with assistance from therapists and nursing.
- Begin walking with a walker with help from your therapists.
Your case manager or social worker will meet with you to discuss your discharge plans, expected length of stay and make referrals to extended-care facilities as needed.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Read Our 2016 Boston Marathon BlogFollow members of the Newton-Wellesley Hospital team as they share their training experiences.
» Read Blog
May 16: AAA Driver Improvement for Mature OperatorsJoin our lunchtime discussion on specific problem areas seniors encounter on the roadway every day.