Center for Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
Serving communities throughout Greater Boston, the center for Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery (MIGS) at Newton-Wellesley Hospital uses advanced technology to provide relief for women with common gynecologic conditions. Our board-certified gynecological surgeons are trained in the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques, including laparoscopic surgery, giving us the flexibility to provide the right surgery for the specific needs of our patients. Contact MIGS to arrange for a consultation with one of our gynecologic surgeons.
Gynecologic Surgery Procedures
By applying advanced techniques and instruments, MIGS offers advanced alternatives to procedures that once required invasive surgery, general anesthesia and hospitalization. The gynecological surgeries performed at MIGS include:
- Hysteroscopy – Hysteroscopy can be used for both diagnostic and therapeutic purposes such as treating abnormal bleeding or removing fibroid tumors.
- Hysterectomy – Hysterectomy, a procedure to remove the uterus, is performed for many reasons, including the removal of fibroid tumors and the treatment of endometriosis.
- Fertility Enhancing Surgery - Infertility affects about 12 percent of couples of childbearing age. Our genealogical surgeons employ a number of different surgeries to enhance fertility.
- Endometrial Ablation – Endomintal Ablations are an alternative to hysterectomy for the treatment of menorrhagia in women who wish to keep their uterus.
- Office Sterilization (Essure®) – Essure is a female sterilization option that can be competed in the office without any incisions.
- Myomectomy – Myomectomies are performed to remove fibroids without removing the uterus.
Gynecologic Conditions We Treat
- Abnormal Bleeding - Treatment options for abnormal bleeding depend on the cause of bleeding which can vary from patient to patient.
- Fibroids – Fibroids can be treated with medical management, hormone injections or fibroid surgery.
- Endometriosis - While medication may be the best treatment option for many patients, when endometriosis causes ongoing pain, surgery may be needed.
- Asherman's Syndrome – Treatment for Asherman’s Syndrome is a two-stage process: breaking up the scar tissue and preventing re-growth of scar tissue.
- Infertility – Infertility can be caused by problems in either the female or male reproductive system.
- Andenomyosis - Although effective treatment options for adenomyosis are limited, they may be effective in some women.
Phone: 617-243-5205 | Fax: 617-243-6922
Non-surgical women's health services, such as obstetrics, gynecology and breast exams are also available at Newton-Wellesley Hospital. Learn about our OB/GYN services and our Breast Center.