Since its inception in 2001, the Administrative Fellowship program at NWH has been a valued experience for the hospital and Fellows. The opportunity to educate and work with our future healthcare leaders is embraced throughout our organization and a priority for us. As the most comprehensive medical center in the western suburbs of Boston and as part of internationally recognized PartnersHealthcare, we provide Fellows exposure to a wide variety of experiences while they are here.
The major goal of the program is to provide a comprehensive and practical experience for future healthcare leaders in a high exposure environment, while providing the hospital with a productive employee equipped with the latest in healthcare academic training. The fellowship is guided by the Senior Vice President of Outpatient Services, via the precepting Director. It is a collaborative effort between the Fellow and the hospital in selecting projects that are a priority for the hospital and meeting the education goals set forth by the Fellow at the commencement of their program.
Upon arrival, the Fellow will be enrolled in an inter-departmental orientation that includes administrative and clinical (both inpatient and outpatient) services. The orientation typically lasts 4-6 weeks with departments and services that the Fellow is likely to work with as project assignments begin to accumulate. It includes meetings with directors of specific departments, observations with their frontline staff, or a combination of both where they may spend half day sessions shadowing.
Additionally during this time, the Fellow receives intensive training with the Operations Management Services (OMS) Department. This department is a key contributor to ensuring that the operations of the hospital are effective and efficient, representing the Performance Management arm for our Executive Leadership Team and support team for our leaders in the field. The training includes operational flow best practices (including LEAN and Six Sigma), process mapping basics, project facilitation skills, and access and training to use productivity benchmarking and patient engagement products.
The fellowship provides an opportunity to understand the many perspectives of healthcare management within the hospital, the physician structure within a community hospital setting, and the overall Partners HealthCare system. The expectation is that by working in a variety roles for the different projects, these experiences will provide an understanding and attainment of skills applicable to future experiences; and, therefore, build on their educational foundation.
Past Fellow Projects
- Development of Orthopedic Service Line quality metrics, database and individualized surgeon dashboards
- Project management for opening of new café
- Developed, planned and implemented a hospital program to have managers and supervisors meet, greet and escort patients to their service locations
- Detailed computerized provider order entry process flow impact and estimated impact (financial and clinical) of system on medical errors
- Participated in Six Sigma Work-Out and Lean workshops
- Participated on team that converted physician billing from outside billing organization to in-house service
- Participated on multi-pronged throughput process improvement of Operating Room efficiencies to include prep/recovery length of stay, room turnover times and case times
- Developed Business Plan for moving hospital based Sleep Center to local Marriott Hotel
- Reviewed business profitability for satellite Urgent Care Center services (occupational medicine, urgent care, radiology, pathology)
- Evaluated direct and downstream impact of inpatient Psychiatry Services
- Participated in Laboratory patient satisfaction initiatives
- Development of project plan to increase OB Capacity
- Participating in Physician Development Strategy
- Project management for redesign of hospital lobby
- Analyzed and categorized ED patient volumes to assess and respond to avoidable visits in the ED
- Work flow analysis for nurses to increase time spent with the patient on Medical/Surgical Inpatient units
- Action OI case studies to increase efficiencies in CT Scan and MRI business units
- Development of quality control plan to reduce surgical site infections
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Free Community Flu Clinics
Newton-Wellesley Hospital is offering FREE Walk In Flu Shot Clinics near you.
Learn More >