Commitment to the Environment
Since 2007, the Newton-Wellesley Hospital Environmental Services Department has incorporated many sustainable initiatives to promote a safe and healthy environment for staff, patients and visitors. We have implemented a large number of initiatives, including:
- Using cleaning products that are Green Seal approved.
- Introducing Micro Fiber mops saving an estimated 250,000 gallons of water annually.
- Purchasing cleaning equipment that meets the GS-42 Guidelines.
- Recycling tons of cardboard and paper per month.
- Recycling wooden palettes, scrap metals and toner cartridges.
- Providing recycling bins for all recyclable plastics, glass bottles and soda cans in the Cafeteria.
- Purchasing only U.S. Building Council Seal of Approval paper and plastic products in the Environmental Services Department.
- Changing the paper towel dispensers to eliminate the use of batteries, but still dispense a hands-free towel.
- Adopting a reusable sharps program.
- Disposing IT waste products through vendors who comply with EPA guidelines.
- Using high-pressure steam to generate some of our own electricity.
- Decreasing liquid waste in the Medical Waste Program by using a hematology instrumentation system.
- Reducing energy use and CO2 emissions by using occupancy sensors, a new dual fuel burner in the boiler plant and a new air handling unit.
- Making re-usable coffee mugs available as another option instead of disposable cups in the Cafeteria and Coffee Shop.
- Providing reusable tableware for patient feeding and reducing the use of Styrofoam products by offering glass, china and re-usable products wherever appropriate.
- Implementing a new energy management system to control the chiller plant, a new sand filter and upgrading the garage lighting fixtures.
On an annualized basis, Newton-Wellesley Hospital currently recycles about 25 percent of its waste stream or approximately 250 tons of paper and 120 tons of cardboard and plastic annually. Our team continues to look for new initiatives to add to the program and to provide a safe and healthy environment for all who enter the Hospital.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Free Post-Marathon Athlete Injury ClinicsCome to our free injury clinics for the diagnosis and treatment of injuries or illnesses that are the result of participating in the Boston Marathon.
Learn More >
Wellness Classes Offered Throughout the YearDid you know we offer Pilates, Zumba, Yoga and other wellness classes year-round? Sign up now.
Learn More >