The surgical oncology team at Newton-Wellesley Hospital focuses on the surgical treatment of solid tumors. Surgery can either be used as a primary form of cancer treatment or offered in conjunction with radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy. Serving Greater Boston communities, our cancer surgery team uses state-of-the-art equipment and technology and offers minimally-invasive procedures when appropriate.
Our surgical oncologists diagnose and treat a variety of conditions including:
- Breast cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Endocrine cancer
- Gastrointestinal tumors
- Gynecologic cancers, such as cervical, endometrial/uterine, ovarian cancer and trophoblastic disease
- Head and neck tumors
- Lung cancer
- Malignant melanomas
- Soft tissue sarcomas
- Urologic tumors
Patients are often referred to a surgical oncologist by their primary care physicians or by emergency department surgeons.
Our Surgical Oncology Procedures
Our surgical oncologists are experts in their field whose roles include diagnosing cancers, evaluating the extent of the cancers and participating in the therapeutic removal of the cancers. Some of our procedures include:
- Needle biopsy – removal of a small sample of suspicious tissue
- Open biopsy – an incision is made and tissue is removed for pathologist examination
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy – lymph nodes are removed and examined to determine the stage of cancer
- Lumpectomy – removal of suspected cancerous tumor or lump in the breast
- Mastectomy – most or all breast tissue is removed to treat breast cancer
- Surgical treatment of other cancers – tumor and surrounding tissue is removed
Patient-Centered Cancer Surgery
Our surgical oncologists are part of a multidisciplinary health care team. They work closely with the Vernon Cancer Center's radiation oncologists and medical oncologists to ensure all aspects of a patient’s care are explored. Whenever possible, our surgeons use the latest minimally-invasive techniques to reduce postoperative pain and shorten recovery time for our patients.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
May 7: 17th Annual Gala - Westin Copley Place, Boston 6:00 pmPlease join us for cocktails, silent & live auctions, dinner and dancing to benefit palliative care at Newton-Wellesley Hospital.
May 24: Free Skin Cancer Screening
Make your appointment for a free skin cancer screening by a Newton-Wellesley Hospital dermatologist