Reduce Your Risk of Stroke
You can decrease your risk for stroke by reducing your stroke risk factors:
- Treat high blood pressure. Eat a balanced diet, maintain a healthy weight and exercise to reduce blood pressure. Medications are also available.
- Quit cigarette smoking. Medical help is available to help you quit.
- Manage heart disease. Your doctor can treat your heart disease and may prescribe medication to help prevent the formation of clots. If you are over 50, ask your doctor about aspirin therapy.
- Control diabetes. Treatment can delay complications that increase the risk of stroke.
- Seek help for Transient Ischemic Attacks (TIAs).TIAs are small strokes that last only a few minutes or hours. They should never be ignored and can be treated with medication or surgery.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
May 7: 17th Annual Gala - Westin Copley Place, Boston 6:00 pmPlease join us for cocktails, silent & live auctions, dinner and dancing to benefit palliative care at Newton-Wellesley Hospital.
May 24: Free Skin Cancer Screening
Make your appointment for a free skin cancer screening by a Newton-Wellesley Hospital dermatologist