Tips for Better Sleep
Personal lifestyle habits, medical illnesses, stress, environmental factors, work schedules, psychiatric disorders and medical conditions can all affect sleep. Good sleep hygiene is a key component to a good night’s rest.
Some tips for good sleep hygiene include:
- Maintain a routine sleep schedule even on the weekends.
- Only use the bedroom for sleep, sickness and sex.
- Avoid caffeine and alcoholic beverages within four to six hours of bedtime.
- Find a relaxing activity before bedtime to relieve stress and encourage sleep.
- Avoid napping during the day or later than 3:00 pm.
- Create a comfortable environment for sleep. Minimize light, noise and extreme temperatures.
- Avoid nicotine.
- Eat a light snack before bed and avoid filling up on large meals close to bedtime.
- Avoid strenuous exercise within four to six hours of bedtime.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
May 24: Free Skin Cancer Screening
Make your appointment for a free skin cancer screening by a Newton-Wellesley Hospital dermatologist