Adult Speech-Language Pathology
Typical problems we address on both an inpatient and outpatient basis include:
- Aphasia - a language disorder caused by a stroke or other brain injury
- Cognitive-Linguistic Disorders - difficulty thinking, problem solving, and/or remembering
- Dysphagia - a swallowing disorder which can affect one's ability to eat and drink normally
- Language – delays or disorders in comprehension or expression
- Dysarthria – slurred speech
- Verbal Apraxia – difficulty putting sounds and syllables together when speaking
- Voice Disorders - prolonged hoarse, breathy, or atypical voice quality
(For hearing testing and/or problems, please contact West Suburban Otolaryngology)
Common patient populations that we serve include people who have suffered a stroke as well as those with dementia (including Alzheimer’s disease), Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and myasthenia gravis. In addition, we see patients receiving treatment for head and neck cancer at the Vernon Cancer Center.
Patients are referred by their physician for SLP services and are evaluated one-on-one to determine the nature and severity of communication and/or swallowing problems which may exist. Swallowing assessments may also involve an X-ray procedure called a Modified Barium Swallow Study (MBS) for a more detailed evaluation. The results of the evaluations are discussed with each patient and/or appropriate family members and a plan of care is suggested.
Goals are developed jointly whenever possible and treatment is initiated (after insurance clearance or private pay arrangements are made for outpatients). Referrals to other specialists, when appropriate, are completed on a regular basis.
Before Your First Visit
(Please ensure the physician’s prescription is specifically for “evaluation and treatment” of the communication or swallowing difficulty.)
American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA)
Mayo Clinic - Dysphagia (Difficulty Swallowing)
American Heart Association – Stroke Information
The National Aphasia Association
National Multiple Sclerosis Society
Parkinson’s Disease Foundation
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Free Running ClinicJoin us on Tuesday, Oct. 28, from 6:00-8:00 pm in the Shipley Auditorium at Newton-Wellesley Hospital for a free presentation for beginner and intermediate runners. Registration required.
Learn More >