MassGeneral for Children Weight Management Program
The MassGeneral for Children Weight Management Program at Newton-Wellesley Hospital is a consultation service for adolescent and young adult patients (ages 12-25) with obesity. The Program Team provides evaluation and ongoing management of patients’ weight and weight-related co-morbidities.
Treatment options offered in the program include:
- Behavioral modification (individualized nutritional counseling, group drop-in nutrition sessions)
- Weight loss medications
- Referral for weight loss surgery when appropriate, and peri-operative management
All new patients will have a comprehensive evaluation that includes:
- Medical evaluation
- Nutrition evaluation
- Fasting laboratory evaluation
When appropriate, patients will be referred for additional evaluations including:
- Psychological assessment by a specialist in child/adolescent psychology and/or eating pathology
- Physical therapy consultation for an individualized exercise program
- Sleep study
Collaboration With Other Programs
The Weight Management Program occasionally partners with other programs at Newton-Wellesley Hospital and MassGeneral Hospital for Children:
- Patients may be referred to the Physical Therapy Department at Newton-Wellesley Hospital for a consultation with experts in exercise training in order to provide an individualized exercise program for healthy weight management.
- Patients 18 years of age or over who have indications for weight loss surgery will be referred to the Center for Weight Loss Surgery at Newton-Wellesley Hospital. A full pre-operative medical evaluation will be done prior to referral, and we will care for the patient’s medical issues after surgery.
- Patients younger than 18 years of age who have indications for weight loss surgery will be referred to the the Mass General Adolescent Bariatric Surgery Program at MassGeneral Hospital for Children after having a full pre-operative medical evaluation.
The Newton-based MGH program fully accepts health insurance and welcomes new patients.
Patients must be referred by a pediatrician or other provider such as a medical specialist, dietitian or therapist. New patient evaluations take place on Wednesday mornings.
Two-week follow-up appointments are scheduled on Wednesday afternoons to review the laboratory results and the weight management treatment plan.
Please call 617-643-1201 or 617-243-6585 for more information.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
February Pre-Marathon Runner’s Injury Screenings
Come to one of our free runner’s screenings where you will be assessed by a physical therapist and given appropriate treatment recommendations as they relate to your goals.
Learn More >
Wellness Center Classes
Did you know we offer a variety of exercise and fitness classes designed to accommodate various levels and abilities? Many of our classes are starting this January. Our schedule is available for you to view.
Learn More >