Surgical Treatment Options
The Center for Weight Loss Surgery at Newton-Wellesley Hospital offers a variety of weight loss surgery options. We work with our patients to determine which option will work best for their body and help them achieve their weight loss goals.
We perform laparoscopic weight loss surgery that combines restrictive and metabolic components.
We do not offer our patients malabsorptive procedures, such as Biliopancreatic Diversion (BPD), which can cause severe vitamin deficiency and diarrhea, nor do we offer purely restrictive procedures, such as Laparoscopic Gastric Bands (lap bands) or Vertical Banded Gastroplasty, because of their higher risks and poor weight loss outcomes long term.
Different Surgical Approaches
There are three basic aspects of procedures that are used in weight loss surgery - restrictive, malabsorptive and metabolic components:
- Restrictive: decreases food intake.
- Malabsorptive: alters digestion, therefore causing food to be poorly digested and incompletely absorbed so that it is eliminated in the stool.
- Metabolic: alters the chemicals in your blood to change the perception of hunger and fullness by either removing part of the stomach or bypassing the first part of the intestine.
- Bariatric surgery including gastric bypass surgery and sleeve gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic Removal of Adjustable Gastric Band
- Laparoscopic Conversion of Adjustable Gastric Band to Sleeve Gastrectomy or to Gastric Bypass
- Procedures We Do Not Offer
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Classes - Yoga, CPR, and more
Newton-Wellesley offers a variety of wellness center and childbirth education classes throughout the year. Learn CPR, practice yoga, prepare a sibling for a new child in the family, and more.
» Class info