Post-Operative Day 1
Everyone progresses at his or her own pace. The activities listed below are a guideline for what to expect during your hospital stay.
Daily Plan of Care: Day One
- You will continue with incentive spirometer to exercise your lungs.
- Continue with medications for pain. It is important to communicate with staff how well your pain is being relieved.
- The nursing staff will assist you with bathing and changing positions in bed.
- Your doctor (resident, PA or NP) will remove the drain tube (if applicable) from your incision and may change the bandage.
- An orthopaedic resident, PA and NP will make rounds daily.
- You will continue to have an IV catheter.
- Additional blood may be administered.
- You may continue to have a bladder catheter.
- Compression boots will be worn to promote circulation and prevent blood clots. You may also have elastic stockings.
- Blood tests will be done.
- You will begin taking liquids and your usual diet as tolerated.
- Sit at the edge of the bed with assistance.
- Begin walking.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Classes - Yoga, CPR, and more
Newton-Wellesley offers a variety of wellness center and childbirth education classes throughout the year. Learn CPR, practice yoga, prepare a sibling for a new child in the family, and more.
» Class info