Post-Operative Day 1
Everyone progresses at his or her own pace. The activities listed below are a guideline for what to expect during your hospital stay.
Daily Plan of Care: Day One
- You will continue with incentive spirometer to exercise your lungs.
- Continue with medications for pain. It is important to communicate with staff how well your pain is being relieved.
- The nursing staff will assist you with bathing and changing positions in bed.
- Your doctor (resident, PA or NP) will remove the drain tube (if applicable) from your incision and may change the bandage.
- An orthopaedic resident, PA and NP will make rounds daily.
- You will continue to have an IV catheter.
- Additional blood may be administered.
- You may continue to have a bladder catheter.
- Compression boots will be worn to promote circulation and prevent blood clots. You may also have elastic stockings.
- Blood tests will be done.
- You will begin taking liquids and your usual diet as tolerated.
- Sit at the edge of the bed with assistance.
- Begin walking.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Feb. Runner's Injury ScreeningsIs an injury or pain interfering with your running goals? Come to one of our FREE runner's screenings for assessment and appropriate treatment.
» More Info
Upcoming ClassesCheck out this season's latest childbirth, exercise, Pilates, Yoga and Tai Chi classes at the Hospital.
» Class Schedule