Post-Operative Day 2
Daily Plan of Care: Day Two
- You will continue with incentive spirometer to exercise your lungs.
- Pain medicines will continue, as you need them. The PCA device is usually stopped on this day and oral medicines for pain are used.
- A blood thinning (anticoagulant) medication will continue.
- IV fluids and antibiotics will be stopped.
- Smaller bandages will be put over your incision.
- You will be given a laxative at bedtime if needed.
- An orthopaedic resident, PA and NP will make rounds daily.
- Ice may be applied to your knee to help with swelling and pain.
- Compression boots will be worn to promote circulation and prevent blood clots. You may also have elastic stockings. The bladder catheter may be removed.
- Lab tests may be done.
- Your diet will be advanced as tolerated and fluids increased to prevent constipation.
- If you have not already done so, encourage a family member or friend to come to the Hospital to review the next day’s discharge planning with a member of your health care team. Staff will provide a tentative discharge time so you can arrange for transportation home.
Physical Therapy: Two sessions, one morning and one afternoon
- CPM or Cam Oped
- Progression of strengthening and range of motion exercises.
- Progression of bed mobility, transfers bed to chair and back and walking.
- Self-care activities such as bathing, dressing, grooming while sitting.
- Training in use of adaptive equipment, if needed.
- Bathroom transfers on and off commode or toilet.
- You will spend more time out of bed during the day.
- You should perform the exercises given by your therapists – try to do a little more each day. You will complete more walking and transfers from bed to chair with help from your therapists and nurses.
- Case manager or social worker may be in to further discuss discharge plan.
- Arrange for home services if needed.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Free Post-Marathon Athlete Injury ClinicsCome to our free injury clinics for the diagnosis and treatment of injuries or illnesses that are the result of participating in the Boston Marathon.
Learn More >
Wellness Classes Offered Throughout the YearDid you know we offer Pilates, Zumba, Yoga and other wellness classes year-round? Sign up now.
Learn More >