Post-Operative Day 1
Everyone progresses at his or her own pace. The activities listed below are a guideline for what to expect during your hospital stay.
Daily Plan of Care: Day One
- You will continue with incentive spirometer to exercise your lungs.
- You will continue with oral medications or a pain pump that you control. It is important to communicate with staff how well your pain is being relieved.
- A blood thinning (anticoagulant) medication will continue.
- Ice may be applied to your knee to help with swelling and pain control.
- The nursing staff will assist you with bathing and changing positions in bed.
- Your doctor (resident, PA or NP) will remove the drain tube (if applicable) from your incision and may change the bandage.
- An orthopaedic resident, PA and NP will make rounds daily.
- You will continue to have an IV catheter.
- Additional blood may be administered.
- You may continue to have a bladder catheter.
- Compression boots will be worn to promote circulation and prevent blood clots. You may also have elastic stockings.
- Blood tests will be done.
- You will begin taking liquids and your usual diet as tolerated.
- You may use a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine to move your knee in bed.
- You may use an active knee motion device (Cam Oped) that you peddle in bed.
- Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy evaluations will be done.
- Sit at the edge of the bed with assistance.
- Perform exercises with your therapists, as you are able.
- Begin transfers from bed to chair with assistance from therapists and nursing.
- Begin walking with a walker with help from your therapists.
Your case manager or social worker will meet with you to discuss your discharge plans, expected length of stay and make referrals to extended-care facilities as needed.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Free Post-Marathon Athlete Injury ClinicsCome to our free injury clinics for the diagnosis and treatment of injuries or illnesses that are the result of participating in the Boston Marathon.
Learn More >
Wellness Classes Offered Throughout the YearDid you know we offer Pilates, Zumba, Yoga and other wellness classes year-round? Sign up now.
Learn More >