Day Before SurgeryOn the day before your surgery, make sure you follow these specific instructions:
- Shower and wash your body thoroughly. You will be given a special soap to use the day before surgery.
- Follow the instructions you received at your pre-admission visit about all your medications.
- Do not eat solids after midnight including food of any kind, milk or coffee lightener, orange juice, alcohol, gum, candy and mints.
- Clear liquids are allowed up to four hours before surgery including water, black coffee, clear tea, apple juice (no cider) and cranberry juice.
Absolutely nothing by mouth within four hours of surgery.
What To Take To The Hospital
- Asthma inhalers and any eye drops
- Personal toiletries
- Short robe and loose pajamas
- Flat comfortable shoes/sneakers and socks
- Glasses for reading (leave contact lenses at home)
- You may want to bring a prepaid phone card to use for long distance calls.
- Small amount of cash (no more than $10 in case you want to buy newspapers).
- Health Care Proxy
Do Not Bring
- Pocketbook, wallet and other valuables including watches, earrings and other jewelry.
Find a Doctor
Find primary care physicians and specialists.
Free Post-Marathon Athlete Injury ClinicsCome to our free injury clinics for the diagnosis and treatment of injuries or illnesses that are the result of participating in the Boston Marathon.
Learn More >
Wellness Classes Offered Throughout the YearDid you know we offer Pilates, Zumba, Yoga and other wellness classes year-round? Sign up now.
Learn More >